Tuesday, January 31, 2012
I've been working tirelessly on the editing software for the game in the past week or so. Staying up all night to work on it and sleeping/doing other life related things during the day. The Tile Data editor has been finished and is ready to use and so now I'm now busy working on the map editor. I'm hoping to make some headway into that tonight!
So... with the newer tile/map system being put into place there will also be some slightly notable changes to the game because of it.
The new map system now supports three basic layers for the tiles (more easily manageable than the 2 layer system of the recent demos), and the in-game entities (enemies, items, ponies, etc) are much more easy to manage. There's a new shading system which allows me to darken/lighten scenery with a somewhat dramaic result...
Annnnd the screen is twice as large then it used to be!
That's right, I've decided to up the resolution of the screen from the standard Gameboy Advance resolution to the old school dos res of 320 x 240.
I originally went with the GBA res because I thought it would be cool to make it feel like an actual GBA game. But over time I started wondering if I should expand it and give the game a bit more room to breath. And so we have the mock-up result in the supplied image of this post.
I would seriously like to hear some opinions about the sudden change... Does it seem to benefit the game or does it kinda ruin it?
Your opinions are very much appreciated! :)
Monday, January 30, 2012
Originally labelled by its creator as 'Canterlot castle.mp3' the name was changed because I felt it was more fitting for Ponyville. Oh, and the startup screen too. :)
Music by Artax from www.canterlot.com forums.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Friday, January 20, 2012
I've acquired this LP of Demo 4 a week or so late. But regardless of my tardy (I wasnt expecting to see anymore LP's of this demo) this one is pretty awesome! :)
If you liked Demo 4 give this guy some internets. (he fell in the Troll Pit! lololol)
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Holla bronies! Misterbull here with yet another potentially uninteresting update! I've spent the entirety of today coding and coding and coding and coding some more!
you heard right, I've been keeping myself busy!
Not that the progress I have here so far might seem of interest but I figured I still aughta show off what has been done so far!
The Tile Data Editor is still the focal project atm, it may not look like much of a change but believe me when I say this little program is almost 100% operational. I'm hoping I can move along to the Map Editor revamp tomorrow with what progress I have accomplished today here.
Rest assured, I'm not redoing everything. Just the editors. The game's engine is nearly perfect as it is and doesnt really need a revamp :P
Of course I'll tweak it up a bit before the next demo release.
But anyway, yeah. This just be another silly excuse to bump the old Ponychan thread up again. Yay me!
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Okay, so the image here displays the early rework of the tile data editor (this editor allows me to set the data of each tile for collision types and other such things)
what your looking at is a first attempt at a new open file system that reads into the tileset gfx folder and outputs its content. Using this would allow me to easily open the tileset image file (without having to manually type out the file name in the code...) to convert into a new .tdat file which would then be read by the .gmap file.
I'll also be advancing the tile system to where I can give each tile its own type of surface which would effect sound effects (such as the sounds of walking on wood/stone/wet muddy surfaces/etc)
I've still got a bit to go on this tiny little side project but it'll be worth it in the long run while working on the game.
More to come later!