Wednesday, September 9, 2015

9-9-15 - Still Alive

This is another update just to let everyone know that this project is still breathing. Progress has been admitedly slow but I'm still pushing myself to get things done.

I'm combining code from all the past attempts hoping it'll push this thing into a fully functionable engine soon.

Again, not a huge update here. just posting this to keep the blog somewhat alive here. :P

Thursday, August 20, 2015

8-20-15 - A Bit of Backtracking

those of you who may have checked out the dev page in recent weeks may have noticed that the engine there isn't showing up in the html5 canvas area. some reason my web service has totally stopped supporting the html5 output of Clickteam Fusion (I cant seem to get anything to work... :P ).

I've sort of tinkered around the idea of moving the engine over to Monkey Coder, but alas I see nothing but more programming obstacles the more I play with that language.

So, with all that being said, I've finally backtracked to the point that I decided to keep the project on Blitz Max.

A few other little downgrades also I should note here... I've decided to return the game to the old GBA style resolution and I've decided to cut back on a number of features I wanted to include in the final game. Basically I'm trimming down the fat to make things easier and I find that I'm way more comfortable with working in the classic GBA 240x120 resolution, especially when it comes to tile design for the maps.

I've been revamping the old engine used in demo #4, reworking the code and polishing the old graphics. Maybe I'll have a new demo out in the coming months.

I'll post more as more progression is being made. :)

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

7-28-15 - The Dev Page is Finally Up! :D

Its admitedly a bit basic (the Page) and the engine is still early in its transfer from Blitz to Fusion. but there it is for everybody's  testing pleasure :)

Sorry it took me this long, I'll be updating the engine there as it progresses, so keep checking in!

Monday, June 22, 2015

Development Moving to Clickteam Fusion 2.5

I am pleased to announce that production of Spikes Quest will be moving to Clickteam's Fusion 2.5 as a development resource. This will make things far more easier plus it would give me more platforms that I can develop the game for.

this means that I will be able to produce Spikes Quest for:
 - html5
 - Windows XP through 10
 - Mac OSX
 - Android + Ouya

Since I can produce the game in html5, I'll be releasing future demos through that platform so people can play the game in their web-browser. this will be awesome for bug detecting and other things.

I will have a webpage up and running soon for that purpose for anybody who'd like to sample the project or bug test as I work on it.

Stay tuned!

Note: Clickteam Fusion may or many not had been used for popular games like the AVGN the Game and FNaF. don't quote me on that, but I've seen hints that may suggest such.

Friday, May 22, 2015

5-22-15 - Startup Preview

This week I'll be showing a few snapshots of the current game startup. This is still in the works so what you see is not all that you'll get.

There are some launch logos that appear before the main menu screen but I didnt feel I needed to show those off (yet)

I'll post more soonish :)

Monday, May 11, 2015

5-11-15 - Startup Screen Update

Hey, guys, sorry for the lack of updates these past few weeks.

I've been taking a couple of hours a day to work on things like the save system, start-up and start menu screen.

I'll try to post images and/or a video some times this week with the progress.

This post, more than anything, is to just let you guys know that things are still going strong for this project.


Thursday, April 9, 2015

4-9-15 - Config System Update (and yes, I'm still alive)

First a response...

You're probably right to begin doubting the completion of this project. I've been failing to post updates after all. And I honestly haven't had much headway since the last progress report. Sure, there were times I've considered calling the project off and maybe finding a team to hand it over to, but deep down inside I really want to see myself completing this thing.

I've felt a great deal of guilt for my lack of work on this project. Life itself has taken its toll on my ability to tackle this mountain and get much done on it. I've felt overwhelmed by the amount of work needed to get it done. And I've been overwhelmed by other projects that have been on my shoulder for a some time.

I've lacked the certain motivation needed for this game.

That being said... No, I'm not giving up on this project just yet. I want to make one final attempt at this. And if that fails, I will throw in the towel.

Now despite all this, there has been some bit of progress that I will report in today's post. I have actually managed to complete the external config system for Spikes Quest. Now it is absolutely possible to set the preferred screen size, set up your control configuration for both your keyboard and game pad and set the preferred sound volume. Here's what the external config system looks like:

I'm looking to get more done in the coming weeks. Please stay tuned.